Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Jumping ship

Okay, I do realize that you're never, ever, ever meant to ditch a medication without first discussing it with your doctor, and I totally understand why, but I just could not keep taking the Lexapro. Two weeks in, and the side effects were debilitating. I couldn't function, so I ditched it. And I'm so glad I did. I'm not nearly so tired anymore, I'm not groggy at work, I've regained both the energy and the inclination to exercise. I'm still not sure why Dr. R. put me on it in the first place, but I'm going to have to break it to him that it didn't work out.

Things are also going better with New Guy. I'm starting to realize that the behaviors that have made me so uncomfortable in the past are simply the behaviors of a guy who sincerely likes me. They're unfamiliar because he's a mature adult who isn't afraid to make his feelings clearly known. And now that I realize that, it's kind of nice. It's nice not to have to wonder how he feels about me. Dating a grownup--what a concept.

And what a pity that, between Hot Mess and so many exes and even my own dad, a mature adult who actually likes me and actually tells me so is such a novelty. I never even realized that I deserved such good treatment until I was already getting it and it was already freaking me out. I guess I'm just going to have to get used to being treated right by a man in my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I see you wrote that you are never supposed to ditch a med. Well, in a way that is correct, the withdrawal effects can be horrendous. But many people have gotten back to a normal life by ditching their meds.

Have you thought about alternative ways to cope without the meds. I know that is heresy among many. But I know of many people, like myself, that are using supplements prescribed by a MD and eating organically. There are other people who use other means.
I cam by your site from the Bipolar Wellness Writer. As you know she also uses other means to stay well.



http://naturalgal.wordpress.com/
A journey away from medication through sane eating of healthy food.

GirlBlue said...

I tend to do this as well if I think the cons outweigh the pros of the matter. I actually did it quite recently and only told my doctor of my decision the day after (a hugh step for me, he usually finds out about weeks after).

Sometimes we are capable of making decisions about our own bodies and for our own good.