Sunday, April 6, 2008

All I want

I've been thinking a lot about life lately (duh), and I guess that's why something really struck me as I read this interview with this industrial designer. He was talking about archetypes and the way we cling to them even when technology no longer dictates that we have to. Why are phones and cameras and cars shaped the way they are now when modern advances offer so many other options? Why build a camera when you could build a "digital photo machine."

That got me thinking about the archetypes in my life and Dr. H.'s comment that "normal" is only about statistics. What things do I only do or want because it's traditional to do or want them? What do I really want, the hot list, the necessities, that I'm limiting myself to traditional means of pursuit?

I want love, for one. That's the big big. Marriage? Dunno. I'll probably have to because I want kids, and they're better off in that legal social structure. But there's not reason that it has to be a "traditional" marriage, whatever that means, and if I meet the right guy, I'm sure it won't be. Scratch that: it definitely won't be, because I'm not getting married until I find that right man, age be damned. Young marriage is just an archetype, and a pretty stupid one, if you think about it. Why make that kind of commitment when you're immature and naive?

Maybe immaturity and naivete are what it takes.

I want to be confident that I'll be able to afford food and shelter. But that doesn't mean a traditional 9-to-5. Freelancing, writing, odd jobs, bartending, sending handcrafts, singing--all of these are sources of income. Sure, they don't come with insurance--which is a must--but I might marry a man with benefits, or I might make enough to afford them on my own.

I want a pleasant physical environment. My mental/emotional state is heavily influences by my environment, so it needs to be uncluttered and pleasant. This actually recommends against trad jobs, because there's not too much you can do with an office or cubicle. This also doesn't necessitate a house; a yard would be nice, but so would a sunroom filled with plants, and great landscaping can be found around condos, apartments, and townhomes. And any dog I'd want would be just as happy walking to the park as tear-assing around a back yard.

I want a dog.

I want a good relationship with my family, but not at the expense of the other stuff. If they love me, they should want me to be happy, even if I find that happiness in nontraditional--but not dangerous--ways. And if they can't support me in that, we might have to reevaluate our relationship.

I want variety. I get so bored so easily, so I need stimulation and interest and change. This really recommends against trad jobs and housing, because it's hard to run off and chase a story for six months when you've got a McJob at home. I guess a condo, once paid off, could be conducive to travel, provided it was small and low-maintenance.

I want stability. I know that it seems at odds with the "variety" thing, but it's not. I just want to be able to count on the things that I want. I want to know that my love will treat me right and that I'll have food and shelter and intellectual stimulation wherever I go. It doesn't seem like much just written down like that. Kind of attainable, actually.

No comments: